Submitted by Eileen Mackin
- 1 1/2 cups Chickpeas or Garbanzo Beans (rinsed and drained if from a can, or soaked and cooked)
- 1 ripe Avocado
- small handful of fresh Cilantro (or frozen)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Red Pepper Flakes or Red Pepper (optional)*
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes (optional)
- Serve with crackers, pita bread, vegetables, or use as a spread on sandwiches.
- If hummus is too thick, add more water. If it is too runny, add a few more chickpeas.
- This hummus is made without tahini. You can add tahini or sesame paste to this recipe if you prefer a more traditional hummus flavor. Add a bit more water, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste and texture.
* I use 2 pinches of ground red pepper in my hummus. Makes 2 cups